Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Toddler Skirt {With Pockets!} Tutorial

This may be the easiest project ever. And probably won't even take you the full hour.  

meags and me: toddler skirt with pockets tutorial

My little gal loves these little skirts.  Every time we head into a fabric store (which is often!) she pulls pink fabric off the shelf and nearly drags it to the cutting table "mom's making me a new pink skirt!" she says.  I have a hard time saying no to that! 

So I decided to spice it up a little bit, and add some cute little pockets.  Super easy, and so so worth it.

First, you'll need:

*1/2 yard of fabric (or two fat quarters)
*Scraps (or a fat quarter) for pockets
*3/4" elastic (in the length of waist.  My very average-sized three year old is 15")
*Coordinating thread

1. Line up selvage edges, and cut in half.  (And trim the selvage edges). This makes 2 fat quarters or two 18" x 22" panels.
2. Cut 4 pockets from the provided template.
3. Right sides together, place straight edge of pocket 5" down from the top of skirt panel.


meags and me: toddler skirt with pockets tutorial
4. Sew 1/4" seam along straight edge of pocket.  Repeat on both the left and right sides for each skirt panel.
5. Carefully press pocket out.  With right sides together, line up both skirt panels.  Pockets should line up.  Pin carefully and sew 1/4" down sides of skirts and around the pockets (don't sew through them!)

meags and me: toddler skirt with pockets tutorial

6. From the right side, pockets should look like this:

meags and me: toddler skirt with pockets tutorial

7. Now make the elastic casing: Fold and press top of skirt to the wrong side 1/2" down and then again another 1".  
meags and me: toddler skirt with pockets tutorial


meags and me: toddler skirt with pockets tutorial

8. Sew 1/8" (or edgestitch) the folded edge, leaving about 2" to thread the elastic through.
9. With a safety pin, thread the elastic through the casing and out to the opening.  Overlap the elastic ends by about 1/2" and sew the two ends together.

meags and me: toddler skirt with pockets tutorial

10. Sew the elastic casing shut.
11. Fold up the bottom of the skirt about 1/2" and press.  Sew 1/4" to hem.
12. Fold up skirt to desired length and hem by hand.



Done!  So easy.  And since I couldn't get my daughter to smile like a normal person, here's a bunch of random faces to convince you this is the cutest skirt ever.  After making 50 in vibrant, hard to match colors, I had to do a matches-everything version because she has recently refused to wear any and all pants.  It's a good thing tights exist.

meags and me: toddler skirt with pockets tutorial


meags and me: toddler skirt with pockets tutorial


meags and me: toddler skirt with pockets tutorial

meags and me: toddler skirt with pockets tutorial

meags and me: toddler skirt with pockets tutorial

And for your convenience: an easy, printable, instruction sheet + pocket template.

Toddler Skirt Tutorial

3 comments:

  1. I just love the contrasting pocket. I might have to add some to my nieces' next skirts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute - love the pocket in the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea. I love the material you used for her pockets! :) Very cute. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

We love reading your comments!