Thursday, May 5, 2011

Twin Bed Quilt

So, I decided a long, long time ago, I wanted to actually decorate one part of my house. Decorating is not a skill.  Also, my son was transitioning into the "big boy bed" and needed a quilt (obviously!) for his new bed.  Putting together his room was decided by me to be my first (albeit daunting) task.

This, is still not done.  Not even close.  I would say it is a work in progress, but it's been almost a year.

On that note, we've decided to add a bunch of tutorials (Meagan style, too bad for you) of other projects you could do with our patterns.  So, after you're done making a wall hanging, or a lap quilt for your reading corner, we, here at meags & me, can show you how to make other 'matching' things. 

Eventually, the sailing quilt will be hung over my son's bed.  I love sailboats and little boys.  And I'm lucky he doesn't have an opinion yet on decorating his room, otherwise I'd be buying a bunch of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Monster's Inc, and Toy Story 3 bedsheets and posters, and we'd be rotating along with his ever-changing moods.

Going along with the sailor theme I so casually decided as the room's fate, I decided to make a sailboat bedspread.  I took the sailboats from our sailing, sailing pattern, and appliqued them on top. 

So, here is a picture of the quilt before quilting.  It's still not even at the quilter's yet, so, no final amazing picture yet. Also, my husband picked out his sheets, and I haven't yet made a matching pillowcase. haha.  To the quilter's first! I'm horrible at finishing projects. 

Anyway, there are a ton of options, if you just decide to applique (or stitch maybe?) something on the top.   

Fabric wise, you'll need:
-10 different 1/2 yards for the patchwork (or a total of 5 yards)
-1 1/2 yards for the back
-1 yd.  for binding
-scraps for applique
-heat and bond for applique

1. Cut your 1/2 yards of fabric into  8.5" squares. You'll need 8 squares of 10 different fabric.
2. I laid the whole thing out in my living room, to decide which squares should go where.  You could do that.  Or you could just guess and start sewing.  If neither of those options fits your personality do this: I labeled my fabric 1 - 10 (it does not matter which fabric you label what.  You'll have 10 rows, with 8 blocks across.  Sew the blocks together, making rows.   Then sew the rows together, and tada!

Row One: Fabric 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Row Two: 9, 5, 7, 10, 2, 8, 4, 3
Row Three: 4, 3, 8, 9, 7, 10, 6
Row Four: 6, 1, 2, 5, 4, 6, 1, 5
Row Five: 10, 7, 3, 8, 3, 2, 9, 4
Row Six: 8, 9, 4, 7, 6, 1, 5, 10
Row Seven: 7, 6, 3, 10, 2, 3, 8, 9
Row Eight: 1, 5, 8, 9, 1, 9, 5, 7
Row Nine: 2, 6, 10, 7, 3, 4, 10, 2
Row Ten: 10, 4, 9, 1, 8, 5, 6, 1


If you're not quite clear on something, go ahead and leave a comment, and I'll respond as quick as I can.  That also goes for patterns, do not hesitate to contact us.  We try our best to make everything as clear as possible.  However, blog posts, like this, usually are written at 1am and not proof read by anyone but me.  ha.

After you've sewn the entire quilt top together, applique sailboats on top.  I used the sailboats from our sailing pattern, but again, there are a thousand options.  Flowers, from Quite Contrary, would be darling stitched in on multiple blocks.  Use your creativity!

Then baste, quilt or tie, and bind as desired.

Finished size: 64" x 80"

And I'm trying to get a bunch of tutorials for alternate projects posted this week, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading your comments!