Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Easter Bag

Easter is coming up quickly! There is still enough time to make a little something for the lovely girls (or boys!) in your life. Easter bags are such a sweet alternative to baskets. And this is a pretty quick project.






My mother was single for a few years of our lives, and when she was, my siblings and I would pull our money together and do something together, in hopes to make the holiday more bearable and fun for her.


So, for Easter, we always got her a basket filled with stuff she probably didn't even want. haha. Except the gum and chocolate.


As we are now adults, we've all continued on the traditions in our own ways. But I've declared Easter as "my" holiday, and I LOVE all Easter baskets, so giving my mom an Easter bag is somthing I look forward to every year.


Except this year, when I couldn't find any I liked.


So I decided to make one. Which is a plus because it can double as a blog post, and I am horrible at blog posting.


First, I've got to be the worst person ever to give tutorials, so I'm sorry. I started taking pictures, but then got too caught up to remember to continue to make them.


Ha.


So, if you choose to have strips on the front of your bag, you'll need to cut 10 2.5" x 8" strips.


(Picture A)


Sew 5 strips together, alternating colors, using 1/4" seam allowance. Press seams going the same direction.



(Picture B and end of pictures. Sorry. I'm horrible.)



Then, cut your bag template.



Fold fabric in half (selvage to selvage for the inside fabric and if you're not using a pieced front. Fold vertically for the pieced fabric) and place template on the fold of the fabric.


Repeat so you have 2 outside pieces, and 2 inside pieces.


Now, stitch the chick picture in colors you like, think fit nicely, and match your fabric. I have a huge tangled knot of un-numbered floss. Another reason tutorials are not a talent. You may want to stablize your fabric.



When you are finished, trim this down to 8.5" x 3.5" Applique to one of the outside pieces of your bag. I centered mine, but I wish I would have moved it up to the top 3rd of the bag.

Placing right sides together, sew the two outside pieces together using 1/4" seam allowance. Do not sew the top of the bag.


Place right sides toghether, and sew the two inside pieces together using 1/4" seam allowance. Leave small opening for turning. Do not sew top of the bag.


Take your 18" ribbon and center along the seam on the right side of outside bag. Baste.


Turn the inside bag right side out and place inside the outside bag. Right sides should be toghether.



Sew 1/4" all along top of the bag. Turn.


Press out and iron flat. Top stitch along the top of the bag. Whipstitch opening shut.


Tada!!


Stuff with grass and other goodies.

Easter Bag




















No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading your comments!